Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mommy wants to nest


The urge has been overwhelming me lately.

And, quite frankly, all I want to do is stay home and be a mom.

Of course, as I say this, my phone rings. It's another call about the Persimmon Festival. I don't scream into the phone, "I'm 32 weeks pregnant!! Who cares about French fries, rides and vendor contracts??" The urge hasn't made me crazy. Not yet.

But the urge is there.

Instead of screaming or getting testy, busy Kryssy has just been busier, and she's been nestier. She wants to stay home and play with her house. She doesn't even want to shop or visit friends. It's all about her little house, nestled out in the sticks. She wants to cook, clean and do laundry. Even hubby has been staying closer to home. Matter of fact, on their nights alone, they've spent a lot of time just gazing at one another over take-out at the kitchen table. Many date opportunities have been skipped in favor of time at home.

I don't remember a time with the other boys that the feeling was this strong. Matter of fact, I can remember, as a relatively new mother, searching for signs of nesting. I wanted to be nesting because, in my mind, it meant baby was on his way. I am over that these days. I don't believe Emery is any closer to arriving than God's plan for him. He'll come, and he'll come when he's darn good and ready. And just because I am nesting doesn't mean I'll be anymore ready for him. In the days leading up to his arrival, I'll still be running around the house frantic trying to figure out if there's anything we're forgetting and making sure there are batteries in all the contraptions.

But, right now, I am having fun being a mom and looking forward to continuing that. I can't wait to meet my little man and introduce him to the brothers who will love and protect him from here on out. I'm looking forward to spending time in my jammies and staring into the faces of the guys who've made my life complete.

My focus isn't on work. And festival-planning is nearly done. It'll all work out, and I'll take care of what needs to be done.

But, right now, my focus is on more important endeavors. And I can certainly feel the maternal pull. The glow isn't from pregnancy; it's from what lies ahead.

1 comment: