Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The strength of McDonald's

The Mitchell school board hired a strength coach during its meeting Monday. It was a controversial move, in my opinion, and not one I particularly agree with. The newspaper I work for published the story Tuesday. The same day, the newspaper also published a story about navigating the McDonald's drive-through.

By virtue of the job, I notice online comments, even though I wish I didn't. At some point this morning, the McDonald's story had something like 60 comments on it. (That's a lot.) The school board story had nine. (That's probably normal.)

I have a theory that most people only care about what happens in their own back yard. I think they are mostly apathetic to politics, policies and government. Apparently, they aren't apathetic to Big Macs and McNuggets.

I suppose today I'm disappointed that this simple exercise, to me, shows that people care more about the junk they put in their stomachs than the people in charge of their child's education. I probably shouldn't be surprised, but I can't help it. And then again, maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment