Thursday, August 13, 2009

Boys and Blood


The oldest son had his tonsils out just in time for the start of school. It has been a big relief, but one that hasn't come without its fair share of medicine, pain and worry.

Last night, I was sitting at the computer. Boys were supposed to be in bed, and I was hammering out a quick blog when I heard, "Mom! I'm bleeding!" Of course, for a mother of three sons, that in itself is not a cause of alarm. This time, however, it came from boy sans tonsils.

I walked into the kitchen, and turned on the lights. He spit up blood on a towel to prove to me that he was bleeding. I suppose I needed that kind of proof he surmised? He spit up again and again to keep proving his point. Enough with the blood-stained saliva already.

I quickly remembered that the doctor told me that if he bled, which is normal as a scab probably dislodged itself from his mouth, then I need to crush up ice and have him suck on it. Ten minutes later, the saliva was clear again. (He kept spitting to prove that point as well.)

What is it with boys and blood?

No comments:

Post a Comment