Thursday, August 13, 2009

More than life changes


If you would've told me 14 years ago that the friends I had then would barely exist in my life in the future, I might've laughed you out of the park. Those were my best girls. How could we ever get separated?

It took exactly six months after we all headed off to college for that to change. I still talk to those girls on occasion. We keep up relatively well on Facebook, and when we see each other at the store or the park, we will definitely chat it up.

We were best friends then, and barely acquaintances now.

Friends change. Life changes.

When I divorced my ex-husband almost two years ago, my friendship base took a huge turn in another direction. When you're a couple, you're friends with other couples. When you're single, it's different. When you're facing tragedy and drama in your life, it changes even more. You find out who your real friends are, and you depend on them.

I have acquaintances, friends, good friends and best friends. I love them all, but there are just a couple who I count among the elite. They are there for me when I am goofy, sad and happy. They love me no matter what I do, or no matter what others say I do. They know the truth. They know me, and that's what's important.

And they go to Bloomington with you on a Friday night, laugh hysterically when you're getting your palm read, and cry with you when the things Sylvia said aren't exactly what you wanted to hear, truth or not. Forget the lavendar aura ... it was my friends you saw surrounding me, Sylvia.

No comments:

Post a Comment